Joey Morris was born in Dothan, Alabama and moved at a young age to Florida, where he graduated from Ft. Walton Beach High School. Upon graduation he attended the University of Alabama where he graduated with a BS in Finance. Joey then entered the Cumberland School of Law at Samford University where he graduated in 1994. While in law school Joey attended the University of Kent in Canterbury, England for a summer semester where he studied the European Common Market, and Comparative law of the United States and Great Britain under the direction of former appellate judge and Solicitor General of the United States, Ken Starr. In addition, Joey was the victor in the school wide Haley Federal Trial Competition and was later chosen to serve as the Director of the Cumberland Trial Advocacy Board. He was also listed in Who’s Who of American Law students.
After law school Joey practiced for a year as a defense attorney with the former Gadsden firm of Simmons, Brunson, Sasser and Callis, PC. He then continued his defense practice by moving to Dothan and joining the firm of Cobb and Shealy, P.C. where his practice concentrated in the areas of wrongful death, products liability and personal injury. In 1999 he left Cobb and Shealy, P.C. and co-founded what is today the law firm of Morris, Cary, Andrews, Talmadge & Driggers LLC, which is committed to exclusively representing individuals or businesses that have been injured or damaged by the conduct of another. Joey’s experience as a former insurance defense attorney has proved invaluable in assisting his clients when it comes to litigating and obtaining a fair recovery.
Joey is licensed to practice in both Alabama and Florida but has also handled and litigated cases in Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, Illinois, Connecticut, Arizona and Tennessee. He is also admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court; the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit; the United States Court of Federal Claims; the United States District Court of Alabama for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts; and the United States District Court of Florid for the Northern District.
Joey has been active in the following legal and civic organizations: Houston County Bar Association, where he served as the President of the Young Lawyers; Past Chairman of the Board for the Lawyer Referral Service of the State of Alabama; the American Bar Association, the Alabama Trial Lawyers Association; the American Association for Justice and the American Inns of Court. He was also part of the Dothan Leadership class of the Dothan Chamber of Commerce; past Boys and Girls Club Board of Directors; Past Dothan-Houston County Rotary Club member; past Adjunct Professor Troy University.
Attorney Morris has been active in the legal community for the past two decades. From 2000-2009 Joey was elected and served on the Board of Bar Commissioners of the Alabama State Bar, and during that time he also served on the Disciplinary Panel for the Alabama State Bar. He has also served part time from 2007-2017 as a municipal court judge.
In 2011 and 2017-2019, Joey was nominated and chosen to the list of Super Lawyers for the State of Alabama, which is an honor chosen by his peers and an independent review committee. Additionally, Joey was inducted into the Multimillion Dollar Advocated Forum, which is restricted to those attorneys who have obtained multimillion dollar settlements or verdicts. Joey was also awarded an AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell, which is presented to those attorneys with the highest ethical standards and professional ability.
Joey is the proud parent of four children and enjoys spending time with his family and traveling.
Areas of Practice:
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Products Liability Law
- Auto/Truck accidents
- Workers' Compensation Law
- Wrongful Death -- Plaintiff
- Bar Admissions:
- Alabama, 1994
- Florida, 1995
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama, 1994
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama, 1994
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama, 1999
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1994
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims 2010
- U.S. Supreme Court 2003
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama, 1994
- Honors: Director, Cumberland Trial Advocacy Board
- Honors: Haley Federal Trial Competition, Victor
- Honors: Treasurer, Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity
- Honors: Winner, Haley Federal Trial Competition
- University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
- Honors: Delta Sigma Pi Business Honorary
- Honors: Pi Kappa Phi Social Fraternity
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Finance
- Adjunct Professor, Troy State University at Dothan, 1996 - 1998
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Houston County Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Dothan Area Chamber of Commerce Leadership Class
- Member Alabama State Bar
- Alabama Bar Association
- Board of Bar Commissioners
- Disciplinary Panel
- First United Methodist Church of Dothan
- Lawyer Referral Service
- Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum
- Super Lawyers, 2011, 2017 - 2019, 2020 and 2021
- 1968, Dothan, Alabama, United States of America
*Alabama State Bar rules require the following on attorney advertisements: "No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the legal services to be performed by other lawyers."