According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2010, 32,885 people died in motor vehicle crashes in the United States, representing a 2.9% decline from the previous year. In the United States, the three biggest causes of motor vehicle crashes include drunk driving, speeding and
distracted driving, with texting while driving being by far the most alarming form of driver distraction. With rampant
drunk driving and widespread use of electronic devices by drivers behind the wheel, your chances of being involved in a collision are rather high.
Since most people are involved in at least one auto accident in their lifetime, it's important to take the following precautions in order to protect you at the accident scene and in the event you become involved in a lawsuit or file a personal injury claim with the other driver's insurance carrier:
- Find out if anyone is hurt, and if so, call an ambulance.
- Be sure to stop your vehicle and exchange the necessary information such as: driver's license numbers, contact numbers, insurance information, email address, home address, and license plate number.
- Call the police so they can fill out an accident report. This facilitates the claims process and can support your case if there is a question regarding fault.
- If possible, move your vehicle out of oncoming traffic so no further accidents occur.
- Document the scene by using your cell phone to take pictures and video footage of any skid marks, where the cars landed, weather conditions, and any other relevant information that might help your case.
- If there were witnesses to the accident, obtain their contact information.
- Don't ever admit fault, even if you believe you are to blame. Admitting fault to the other driver or the police will only complicate the claims process later on.
- When you call your insurance carrier to report the accident, stick to the facts only and do not admit fault.
- Seek medical treatment immediately if you are hurt.
- Contact a Montgomery personal injury attorney immediately to ensure your best interests are protected and that you have the best opportunity to receive maximum compensation.
Benefits of Hiring a Montgomery Personal Injury Lawyer
While you can represent yourself in an accident claim, keep in mind that insurance companies are for-profit companies that will do everything to devalue your claim and pay you as little as possible. However, once you have an attorney on board, the insurance companies know they can't get away with paying a low dollar settlement so easily.
At Morris, Cary, Andrews, Talmadge & Driggers, LLC, we have an extensive track record of winning high dollar settlements and verdicts and this includes winning one of the largest jury verdicts in the history of Alabama, an award that was worth $21,000,000 for our client. If you were injured in a car accident in Montgomery or Dothan, contact us today to find out how our legal services can be of benefit to you.